writing from a successful boot of the i386 DVD iso copied to a FAT32
partition on a USB stick.  First step in trying to make a Mactel/Wintel
universal boot stick.  No problems so far, here's the grub entry i used to
make it work:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
menuentry "Puredyne" {
         recordfail=1
         if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
     set quiet=1
     set root=(hd0,1)
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7812-52F7
     linux /live/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=1000000 boot=live persistent
username=lintian hostname=puredyne
     initrd /live/initrd.img
}

one would have to set the UUID to their own disk obviously.

if you want to try a manual install, here's what i did:

use gparted to create a FAT32 partition, 1.21 Gb. enable boot flag and label
it PUREDYNE.  make the rest of the stick into an ext2 partition labeled
live-rw.

mount -o loop puredyne-xxx.iso /mnt/iso
cd /mnt/iso
cp -r * /media/PUREDYNE
grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/media/PUREDYNE /dev/sdb (whatever
device your own usb is)

then i put that custom grub entry in my /etc/grub.d directory and ran:
grub-mkconfig -o /media/PUREDYNE/boot/grub/grub.cfg

there may be an easier way,  but this works.  I believe the system partition
has to be vfat for Macs to recognize it.  Now to test EFI and booting on a
mac.  Hopefully this info is helpful to those wanting to test liveUSB.

Any tips on making these steps more robust?  I just figured its the bare
minimum of what is happening with any of the liveUSB creators out there.

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM, '2+ <electriclighthe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi!
>

> >> file not found .. need to load the kernel first
> >
> > this is an issue with the make-live-device.sh
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/783021
> >
> > good luck.
>
> this one did it
> now i can test some more