Hi,
Maybe the old datafiles are not deleted properly ? Maybe we could try the
following to figure out if that is the case, choose a file on the old setting
(4 servers) (or create a new one lets say 100MByte) printing out the real file
names in the storage space with pvfs2-viewdist, in addition do a statfs. Then
balance this file on the new setting with 8 servers. Then look at the statfs
again. Also check the old  bytestream files in the dataspace again. Are they
still present ?
I think it might also be interesting to run the normal UNIX df command before
and after the migration on the server which should delete the file to verify
these results.

Julian