[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:01 -0500:
> On Oct 10, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> >How about just add PVFS_sys_dist_get_IO_server_aliases() and
> >PVFS_sys_dist_set_IO_server_mapping().  Under the hood each
> >distribution orders the IO servers it'll use according to the
> >mapping then does business as usual.  This instead of the random
> >starting point and sequential ordering used now.
>
> What are the benefits of those functions over something like:
>
> PVFS_sys_dist_set_param(..., "io-server-mapping", &server_map);
>
> I dislike the idea of adding interfaces that won't get much use, esp
> if we already have a generic mechanism for doing the same.

Good suggestion; I'm fine with this too.  It leaves it up to the
particular distribution to implement, but they can all call some
generic functions internally for aspects that are similar.

I'd like it if the type of server_map were some nice thing, maybe a
"int length" and some const strings that were gotten by asking for
the list of servers.  It would be good if code can programatically
pick out the servers it wants to construct a server_map.

But doing this through a _dist_set_param call means it's not a hint.
It's mandatory.  The create that uses this dist should fail if it
can't manage to apply the requested io-server-mapping.  And this
makes it part of the distribution API, where it should be.

                -- Pete