Sam Lang wrote:

How about just add PVFS_sys_dist_get_IO_server_aliases() and
PVFS_sys_dist_set_IO_server_mapping().  Under the hood each
distribution orders the IO servers it'll use according to the
mapping then does business as usual.  This instead of the random
starting point and sequential ordering used now.

What are the benefits of those functions over something like:

PVFS_sys_dist_set_param(..., "io-server-mapping", &server_map);

I dislike the idea of adding interfaces that won't get much use, esp if we already have a generic mechanism for doing the same.

-sam

Just so we're all clear on what was intended with that interface, the idea is that distributions can overload the behaviour of the underlying parameter setter.

For example, in the default provided functions, I checked the data for overrun of the distribution data type, but it doesn't have any support for an underfilled data type (for example, if an int is set into an int64, that's probably going to lead to 32 bits of random junk in the distribution parameter). But that will work fine (though perhaps precariously) for the default simple-stripe distribution.

The varstrip guys provided a parameter setter that parsed some a string format. So the current model is that each distribution provides its own string format. I'm not sure whether that's really the best approach or not.

Cheers,
brad