On Feb 22, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Sam Lang wrote:

I'm not sure its time to replace the ledger code. It seems to work ok, and to fix the slowness you're seeing would mean switching to some kind of range tree that could be serialized to disk so that we wouldn't have to iterate through the entire dspace db on startup. That opens up the possibility of the dspace db and the ledger-on- disk getting out of sync, which I'd rather avoid.

We could hand out new handles by choosing one randomly, and then checking if its in the DB, getting rid of the need for a ledger entirely, but I assume this idea was already scratched to avoid the potential costs at creation time, especially as the filesystem grows.

Actually as I think about this some more, maybe its worth considering. Right now genconfig only uses the first 2^32 handles, dividing them up equally amongst the number of servers. That's obviously not anywhere near the possible limit. If genconfig allocated even half of the 2^64 handles to the servers, that would really decrease the likelihood of selecting an already used handle at random, even for a filesystem with millions of files.

Also, the ledger could still be used to keep track of the handles that are created during the lifetime of that particular server process, as well as the ones that already exist if a randomly chosen handle gets a hit. If genconfig allocates over the 1 - 2^63 range, with 64 servers the chance of randomly picking an already used handle is 1 in 2^56. With 16 million files its still 1 in 4 billion.

The interfaces do allow the client to specify the specific handle or a range of handles when doing the create, but we always just get the range directly from the config file. Are there use cases out there where more limited ranges (or specific handles) are requested by the client?

-sam

-sam

<mult.patch>

<server-start.patch>