Hi,

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Ian Ozsvald <i...@ianozsvald.com> wrote:
> One question that's raised from my post - how come double precision
> CPU math is faster than single precision CPU math? I hadn't expected
> that result to drop out of the test and it has been a while since I
> did any good speed tests on CPUs. Is it generally the case that double
> precision math (both in C and Python?) on x86 is faster than single
> precision now?

Cpu and gpu are still faster in float then in double. That is caused
by the hardware. I have already see float being slower then double. It
was the exp fct in gcc. If I change the implementation to use the one
in amblibm, the difference disappeared (and it was faster). So I
suppose that is also your case. Don't forget that some implementation
will spend more time optimizing the double case as it is more general.

Frédéric Bastien