I think it should be changed to check to see if the Python interpreter is
currently running in 32 bit mode, and then compile to match:

if 'darwin' in sys.platform and sys.maxint == 2147483647:
    # The Python interpreter is running in 32 bit mode on OS X
    if "-arch" not in conf["CXXFLAGS"]:
      conf["CXXFLAGS"].extend(['-arch', 'i386', '-m32'])
    if "-arch" not in conf["LDFLAGS"]:
      conf["LDFLAGS"].extend(['-arch', 'i386', '-m32'])

Some people (myself included) have to run Python in 32-bit mode on 64-bit OS X
for various compatibility reasons (currently including libcudart.dylib, which
is only shipped as a 32-bit library).  Since the Python which Apple ships is
compiled as a fat binary with both 32 and 64 bit versions, we can't know a
priori what the right compiler flags are.

- bryan

On Sep 19, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Andreas Kloeckner wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:37:31 -0400, gerald wrong <psillymathh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Looking at PyCUDA setup.py, I found this:
>>
>>    if 'darwin' in sys.platform:
>>        # prevent from building ppc since cuda on OS X is not compiled for
>> ppc
>>        # also, default to 32-bit build, since there doesn't appear to be a
>>        # 64-bit CUDA on Mac yet.
>>        if "-arch" not in conf["CXXFLAGS"]:
>>            conf["CXXFLAGS"].extend(['-arch', 'i386', '-m32'])
>>        if "-arch" not in conf["LDFLAGS"]:
>>            conf["LDFLAGS"].extend(['-arch', 'i386', '-m32'])
>>
>> Since 64bit CUDA support on Mac OS X is a reality since at least CUDA3.1,
>> this should be changed.  I know there are other problems regarding 32/64
>> python stopping 64bit mac users at the moment (including myself), but since
>> changes are being made to the PyCUDA code to make it compatible with CUDA3.2
>> anyway...
>
> It looks like this should just be killed wholesale--right? Or is there
> anything more appropriate that it should be changed to?
>
> Andreas

- bryan