Thanks, it now works.

The problem was that my display driver for X was installing nvidia-current
from Ubuntu packages all the time. So I uninstalled nvidia-current using
Synaptic Package Manager and then rebooted into a terminal where X was not
running. This time at the end of the Cuda 3.2 driver installation it asked
if I wanted to install the X driver, and I chose yes. Now all looks fine.

Riaan