>> > I have installed PyCUDA 0.94.2, but when I try to run the
>> > samples/examples I
>> > get:
>> >
>> > ImportError:
>> >
>> > /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pycuda-0.94.2-py2.6-linux-i686.egg/pycuda/_driver.so:
>> > undefined symbol: cuMemAllocPitch_v2

>> You are probably using an old version of the drivers (e.g. Ubuntu's
>> default).

This is a remarkably common question on this list, and reasonably so
-- I know what causes it and it still throws me for a loop when I've
not set up a machine correctly. Perhaps it would be useful to catch
this exception (later to re-raise it) and print out some helpful text
that says that the problem is most likely that you don't have the
driver installed, or the driver is too old, or there might be a
LD_PATH problem (is this true), etc.

I'd be happy to submit a patch, but (a) it's pretty simple, and (b) I
probably don't know enough to write a really accurate error message,
so it's probably best done by someone who knows the library better
than I do.

-josh