Andreas,
Thanks - I'll try looking into a different debugger.

>Any particular reason to not use shipped boost?
Yes.  I couldn't get it to compile properly.  I tried again by running
configure.py, setup.py build, setup.py install and receive errors about missing
files (boost\mpl\aux_\_include_preprocessed something or other).  If I compiled
boost from source on the machine, I could then get pycuda to compile by
changing the configuration parameters.

Agreed - the less moving parts the better.

Still stuck where I am, though.  The CUDA driver is functioning...I can run the
example programs in the CUDA GPU Computing Toolkit.  But, apparently the PyCuda
call to cuInit kills python.

thanks,
Mike