Hi Andreas, (Hi Bryan),

Last December I was asking you about CodePy. See how far I went with
it with your help: http://dev.math.canterbury.ac.nz/home/pub/17/

Note, there is no CUDA or thrust code in the CodePY example. There
seemed to be no easy way to do it. I'll paste some excerpts from our
emails from Dec 16,17,

I: "My next question, suppose MODULE_CODE contains some thrust code and
would have to be compiled through nvcc (and g++). Simply using
nvcc_toolchain,

nvcc_toolchain = codepy.toolchain.guess_nvcc_toolchain()
cmod = extension_from_string(nvcc_toolchain, "module", MODULE_CODE)

Didn't work of course. Do you have a similar function that takes a
STRING, both host_toolchain, and nvcc_toolchain, and compiles it? If
not, what is the right way?"

B: "NVCC can't parse Boost well, so I have to segregate the host code
which binds it to Python from the CUDA code compiled by NVCC.
The way I do this is to create a codepy.bpl.BoostPythonModule which
has the host entry point (and will be compiled by g++).  Then I create
a codepy.cuda.CudaModule which references the BoostPythonModule
(making this link explicit lets codepy compile them together into a
single binary).  Then I call compile on the CudaModule, which should
to the right thing.  You can see code that does this here:
http://code.google.com/r/bryancatanzaro-copperhead/source/browse/copperhead/compiler/binarygenerator.py#84";

A: "I'd just like to add that I recently split out the code generation bits
of codepy and called them cgen.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/cgen
https://github.com/inducer/cgen
https://github.com/inducer/codepy

(but compatibility wrappers that wrap cgen into codepy will stay in
place for a while)"

Has something changed since then?

ctypes works fine and it has the advantage of not having to use boost.
It's just an unaltered C++/CUDA/thrust code. Invoking systems' nvcc
was as easy as gcc. As for the caching, I check the hash of the source
string: if it has changed, I build and load a new (small!) .so module
with the hash value attached to the name. The pointers into the old
.so get garbage collected and unloaded; if they are stored in a tmp
folder -- the .so files get deleted eventually.

I remember you preferred Boost::Python to ctypes in general for its
better performance; but if we make calls to ctypes library rarely,
small additional overheads, if there were some, aren't important.

A better programme would be to port all the algorithms and interfaces
of Thrust to PyCUDA. The only reason I need thrust for example, is
that it can find me the extremum element's _location_ which I still
don't know how to do in PyCUDA.

Cheers,
Igor