On 10/21/2013 11:41 PM, Andreas Kloeckner wrote:

Hi Dorin,

Dorin Niculescu
<niculescu_dori...@yahoo.com><mailto:niculescu_dori...@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have a new ASUS laptop with optimus enabled NVIDIA 750M card and i want to
> install pycuda on it. I've installed Ubuntu 12.04,
> Bumblebee+nvidia-319, cuda 5.5 and everything was working great until i've
> installed pycuda using the ubuntu software center. After that,
> instead of the log in screen ubuntu is showing a perfect black screen. I
> don't know what happend but i think that is because of the libraries
> which are installed with pycuda.
>
> Is pycuda getting along with bumblebee? This chain Ubuntu 12.04 + Bumblebee +
> nvidia-319 + cuda5.5 + pycuda should work?
>
> Do you have any solutions ?

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. However, what you're
describing sounds more like an issue with your distribution than
with PyCUDA. If you could find out somehow what packages were installed
and uninstalled along with PyCUDA, someone on the list *may* be able to
point you in the right direction.

HTH,
Andreas

Dear Both,

I am running pycuda on an up-to-date Slackware distribution on an Optimus
laptop (Lenovo Y470) with a gt550m. All works very well here. I am using
bumblebee and the "optirun" command. The most common problem people tend to
face with their respective Linux distributions is that the cuda drivers (SDK)
have traditionally been very picky about which version of GCC they support.
Most modern Linux distros will install some version of GCC 4.8 or perhaps even
later, but CUDA on Linux afaik currently only supports 4.7 and maybe 4.6,
depending on the cuda version installed.

HTH,
Eric

--
Dr. Eric Michael Scheffel
Assistant Professor in Economics

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information.
If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and
immediately delete it.

Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message
or in any attachment.

Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily
reflect the views of The University of Nottingham Ningbo China.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may
still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system:
you are advised to perform your own checks.

Email communications with The University of Nottingham Ningbo China may be
monitored as permitted by UK and Chinese legislation.