On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz>wrote:

> On 03/11/11 04:31, Ian Mallett wrote:
>
>> C++ is a pain to learn, but it's definitely worth it.  In my
>> opinion it's the best compiled language.
>>

> I'm afraid I can't share your opinion of C++. I liked it myself
> at first, but after 10 years or so of experience I came to
> the conclusion that it goes to extreme lengths to solve a
> problem you shouldn't be having in the first place.
>
> My opinion now is that if what you're doing is too big to do
> easily in plain C, you should be using a language that provides
> you with properly isolated high-level abstractions -- such
> as Python, for example. :-)

Oh definitely.  I just think that if you're going to go with a compiled
language, a good general purpose one is C++.  If I want to hack something
up quickly, I'll use Python.  I contend that good design is definitely
possible with C++ (in a way that it often isn't with C), but that yes, it
can take a while to get right.

However, I often tell students that, although having an elegant, structured
design is desirable--being so simple as to require only a basic one is
better.  For projects of most practical scopes (like a simple game or
utility), you don't need anything too involved.

Ian