I spent some time with your counter and this is the final code i got.
Regards!

# Death Counter
import pygame, sys
from pygame.locals import *

# Variables: In python you dont need to declare your variables, you can
store any type of variable at any point,
# but you have to be careful to store what you want.
#deathcount = float(0)

pygame.display.init()
BLACK = (0,0,0)
WIDTH = 320
HEIGHT = 260
windowSurface = pygame.display.set_mode((WIDTH, HEIGHT), 0, 32)

windowSurface.fill(BLACK)

while True:
    events = pygame.event.get()
    for event in events:
        if event.type==KEYDOWN:
            if event.key == K_1:
                with open("deathcounter.txt", "rt") as in_file:
                    deathcount = int(in_file.read()) #store an integer
                    deathcount = deathcount + 1
                with open("deathcounter.txt", "wt") as out_file:
                    out_file.write(str(deathcount))
            if event.key == K_2:
                deathcount = 0
                with open("deathcounter.txt", "wt") as out_file:
                    out_file.write(str(deathcount))
            print deathcount

    if event.type == QUIT:
        pygame.quit()