Here's the classic PyHook example, approximately:

import pythoncom, pyHook

def OnKeyboardEvent(event):

    print event.ScanCode, event.Key

    print 'MessageName:',event.MessageName
    print 'Message:',event.Message
    print 'Time:',event.Time
    print 'Window:',event.Window
    print 'WindowName:',event.WindowName
    print 'Ascii:', event.Ascii, chr(event.Ascii)
    print 'Key:', event.Key
    print 'KeyID:', event.KeyID
    print 'ScanCode:', event.ScanCode
    print 'Extended:', event.Extended
    print 'Injected:', event.Injected
    print 'Alt', event.Alt
    print 'Transition', event.Transition
    print '---'

    # return True to pass the event to other handlers
    return False

# create a hook manager
hm = pyHook.HookManager()
# watch for all mouse events