On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Scott Bender wrote:
> Actually, the hang came after my timeout function completed. It was calling
>mainiteration(FALSE) to
> update a progress bar, which was causing the hang. Anyone know why?
>
> thanks,
> - Scott

I've seen this recently.  The behavior varies depending on what version
of Gtk+ you're running with, and on what operating system.

The basic problem is that, on some platforms, even w. Gtk+ 1.2.6,
you need to surround calls to gtk.events_pending() and
gtk.mainiteration() with calls to gtk.threads_leave() and
gtk.threads_enter(). On others (e.g. Solaris) you *shouldn't* do so.

I'll trudge in to the office in a bit and forward some relevant code,
showing how to work around the problem on a handful of OS platforms.

--
Mitch Chapman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.  This probably sounds kind of bogus.  That's why I've not posted
comments on it before -- I'm probably missing something obvious.