1)
I was having awful problems trying to get x-input
extension events to register.

Turns out, all the connections and set_event calls
must be done prior to calling a widget's show().

Doh!

Is this true of all handling? I find I get very
different results if I register events before
or after a call to show(). I haven't yet
recognized the propagation pattern.

2)
Currently, the only way to activate an additional
device is to bring up the GtkInputDialog, set the
device status, and go merrily along.
While gdk_input_set_extension_events can be
called through a window, the other xinput
gdk routines have not been exposed in pygtk.
Is this planned for any of:
  gdk_input_list_devices()
  gdk_input_set_source()
  gdk_input_set_mode()