On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Peter Kese wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am planning a project based on pygtk in which I am planning to use
>
>       Python 2.1
>       NumPy 18.0  - makes use of new Python 2.1 features
>       PyGtk       - as I need to be portable to Unix and Windows
>       GdkPixbuf
>
> As it is probably going to take me months to complete it, I thought it
> might be wise to start the project with Gtk 1.4 or 2.0.

First of all, there will never be a gtk 1.4 (they decided that about
a year ago).  Note that 2.0 is still under development at the moment, so
is not a great platform to target unless you are willing to track
development.  However, gtk 2.0 should be out soon.

> Therefore I am wondering:
> 1) are there any PyGtk for Gtk 1.4 / 2.0 beta available, (when, how)

The HEAD branch of CVS is targeted at 2.0, but currently is not up to date
(will not compile with current HEAD glib/pango/gtk+).  There are some
snapshots I made available at:
  http://www.gnome.org/~james/

> 2) does PyGtk 0.6.X compile with Python 2.1

No reason why it shouldn't.  I don't think the C API has really changed
much since 1.4 (or maybe earlier; 1.4 was the first release I started
writing extensions for).

James.