On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:38:12AM -0400, Stephen Langer wrote:
> As you might recall, I'm getting mouse events in C++ for canvas items
> from a gtk-canvas object.  The C++ callback calls a Python function,
> sandwiching a call to PyEval_CallObject between calls to
> PyGtk_BlockThreads and PyGtk_UnblockThreads.  I presume that the
> thread blocking has something to do with the disappearance of the
> exception messages, but I can't find anything in the documentation
> that gives me a hint about how to fix it.  Any ideas would be welcome.

This is an out of the blue set of guesses, but:

a) Do PyGtk_*Threads actually do something when you have threads
disabled? Have you tried compiling pygtk without threads or disabling
them at runtime? IIRC they are nopped out, but ICBW.

b) Something I remember is the global interpreter lock; roughly, when
you are in C-land python just freezes and waits for the return to go
ahead processing normally. This caused it, for instance, to ignore
signal handlers I had set in Python during the execution of C code. I'm
not sure exceptions would suffer the same problem, but maybe?

Take care,