On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 10:30:31PM -0600, Collins wrote:
> I have a dialog box that I want to open over the middle of my current
> window?  How do I accomplish this?
>
> At present, gtk maps this window to the next available space on the
> screen, where it is not obvious that it is related to my current
> window.

The window manager is responsible for placing the window on the screen
when mapped if it isn't given an exact position.  For dialog boxes,
make sure you're passing in the parent window when creating the dialog
box.  Then GTK will set up the correct hints that would make window
managers treat the dialog window as a child of its parent.  How the
window manager decides to treat the placement is configurable in some
window managers...

Matt