I've got gnome.ui working on SuSE Linux 8.2, now. I built PyORBit and rebuilt python-gnome.

I downloaded PyORBit 1.99.5 from gnome.org. I made one change to the .spec file: it depends on python2-devel, which SuSE ships as python-devel.

At this point, I should have been able to rebuild the python-gnome package, but I decided to upgrade to 1.99.16 at the same time. I swapped in the new PyGTK tarball and rebuilt. Then I did the same for PyGNOME.

There are several things you could be missing. If you don't have a complete GNOME development environment, you might not have built an extension module on which your app. depends. As I mentioned in a previous message, the .spec files and configure scripts miss a lot of dependencies, so it's easy to rebuild a SuSE RPM and end up with something different. I made several trips to a SuSE mirror to get packages I've never heard of, including at-spi, libzvt, and gail.

So far, I have to say that Red Hat Linux is a better platform than SuSE Linux for Python GNOME development out of the box. Feel free to contact me off list if you need more help.

At 7/24/2003, Don Allingham wrote:
On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 21:52, James Henstridge wrote:
> If there is no gnome.ui module, then it is not possible to initialise
> the libgnomeui library.  libglade is not guaranteed to function if you
> do not initialise the libraries you use.

I built the missing pyorbit (1.99.5) package, and rebuilt the
gnome-python package so that it includes the uimodule.so library. Since
the gtk interface is part of the pygtk2 package, I also rebuilt that
package as well.

Is there something else I could be missing?