On Friday 18 June 2004 8:59 am, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Matt> There have been several discussions on the list in the last few
>     Matt> months about trying to get PyGTK into the standard library, ...

I would like to see PyGtk become part of the core Python distribution,
however, this is an unrealistic goal in the short term. There is no way that
PyGtk will be added to the next Python release. The alpha is going to be out
in about a month and PyGtk would be much to big of an addition at this late
date.  It isn't clear that PyGtk is the "best" choice for replacing Tkinter.
Unless PyGtk takes a substantial lead over PyQt and wxPython it is unlikely
that Guido will approve the selection of one GUI toolkit over the others.
Also, the core developers would not want such a big addition to the code that
must be maintained in the official release. They will argue that PyGtk should
evolve separately.

There is a second approach that is realistic and probably also more workable.
At PyCon we had a "Fat Python" BoF session. The goal was to build a super
distribution of Python that would include many Python based pieces of
software. I'd like to see PyGtk become a foundation piece for this
distribution. The distribution will most likely also include wxPython and
PyQt, but we should try to make PyGtk the preferred GUI platform for the
future of Python. (A few months ago I saw a reference to a hack that allowed
Qt and Gtk mainloops to be run in the same process. If it can be done, then I
would expect Python to be the language with the best chance of making it
possible to build apps that used widgets from both toolkits.)

Discussion of the Fat Python distribution is on the python-grants mailing list
at:

There are a also a couple wiki pages on python.org that are being used to
organize the Fat Python distribution:

        http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/EducationalCd

        http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/EducationalCdLinux

>     Matt> there where however a few buts...
>
>     Matt> 1. Documentation -

As a separate distribution from the core language the documentation shouldn't
be a problem. We distribute the PyGtk FAQ, API and Tutorials as part of the
Fat Python distribution. It doesn't need to be integrated into the core
Python manual.

>     Matt> 2. Windows -

The Fat Python distribution is KNOPPIX based release. We will be picking
software that generally also is available on Windows, but for the first
release the Fat Python will use Linux as the target platform. There are other
distributions of Python that is targeting Windows.

>     Matt> 3.Idle -

One of the other posts to this thread included someone volunteering to
re-target Idle to PyGtk. I think this is a grand idea. I hope others will
join this effort.

> 4. Mac OSX - Is GTK available on Mac OSX without X11?  Tkinter does have
> the advantage that TkAqua is available for non-X environments.

For now the Gtk 2.0 release is only available on the Mac using the X11 API.
This is included with the latest OSX distribution, so it isn't a
show-stopper. I talked with Tamer Fahmy at PyCon about getting Gtk 2.0 ported
to Aqua. He was considering this as a summer project. I haven't talked with
him since the conference to see if anything has happened on this task.