Pascal Duchatelle wrote:
Hello,
Hi Pascal,
I use pyGTK a lot even though I cannot say I am confortable with it.
Anyway on the pyGTK site there links that points to localized
versions. So I wandered if there was any french translation of it
and if it would be interesting to have one. If so I volunteer to
start (at least) it. Also I would need some help/advice on the way to
(technically) do it in order to be usable by you guys.
There's no french version, only a 'in-the-works' italian version, but we haven't had any news from it since a long time ago. To translate the tutorial you just need to checkout a copy of the pygtk-docs module in the gnome subversion repositories (see http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html), create a new tut-fr dir and start translating each of the docbook files starting from the english (or spanish) version.

You can have a look to the sources using the online svn browser to get an idea about how it's organized: http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/pygtk-docs/trunk/2.0/ (the tut dir is where the original english version is held, and tut-es is the spanish translation).

It's not very complex to deal with the sources, as they use only a small subset of docbook. (an example here: http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/pygtk-docs/trunk/2.0/tut/ButtonWidget.xml?revision=HEAD&view=markup), and AFAICT, the only gotcha is being careful with the encoding (I'd say just use UTF-8).

Once you're done you can send patches here, contact me or any other of the pygtk maintainers, or use bugzilla, so we can upload the files to the subversion repository.

If any volunteer with Makefile skills wants to help too, there's possibly some cleanup work to do to build the ES, IT and any newer languages added.
Testing the PDF conversion would also be a nice thing to do.

Hope this is enough to get you started.
Finally, as a recommendation, don't feel overwhelmed by the large number of files to translate... if you just take it easy and go step by step, you'll find that you've finished it sooner that you thought :). Also, feel free to send reports about bugs, typos, etc in the original english sources.

Regards,

Rafael Villar Burke