On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 09:10:57AM +0200, Donn wrote:
> I want to be able to bring "life" to each shape (rep by an object internally)
> such that they:
> * detect mouse enter/leave
> * detect mouse clicks
> * detect key press

What you're looking for is, for some reason or another, known as a
"canvas".  There are a number of canvas libraries for GTK --
goocanvas, hippocanvas, arguably the clutter toolkit, and about half a
dozen others.  (Don't be misled by "gnomecanvas", though, it has the
most official-sounding name because it was first, not because it is
particularly good.)

People on the list might have suggestions for sorting through these.

-- Nathaniel

--
"If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at it."
  -- John Hopfield