> What you're looking for is, for some reason or another, known as a
> "canvas".
Okay. It seems I am writing my own canvas then. I am stuck on GTL+2.8 for a
bunch of reasons so I have not been able to run any of the popular canvas
apps.

> People on the list might have suggestions for sorting through these.
Right, more questions to a general audience then:-

I hope someone can point me in the direction of how to calculate when an x,y
is within the area of an object - based on it's closed-path shape not a
general bounding area. That's something I am all at sea about.

For the "bubbling" of events through my objects, I think I have an angle on it
and can start hacking.

One other thing puzzles me; how to know when a given object is occluded by
others on the canvas? Is it worth trying to find those situations or just
handle the, say, mouse-over event even if that object is covered by five
others?

\d