> 2) If you get to the point where you can import pygtk fine, but have
> trouble with 'import gtk', then I suggest you look at some Microsoft C
> runtime's, I have often found one of these (not sure which one) helps me
> on WinXP
>
> The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) installs
> runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications
> developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++
> 2008 installed.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en
>
> The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) installs
> runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications
> developed with Visual C++ SP1 on a computer that does not have Visual
> C++ 2008 SP1 installed.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

Because I am never sure of the correct way to resolve these stupid
errors with runtime incompatibilities (which I think was in part due
to a bug in python 2.6.4) it is also really easy to build your own
installers for pygtk and pygobject.

Check out the windows branch (of pygtk and pygobject) from git and
follow the instructions in README.win32

This seems to circumvent all the runtime incompatibilities (because
then your built installer uses the runtime you had when you built the
installer AFAIK...). The instructions are very up to date - I check
they still work every few weeks.

Total build time is about 10 mins (including downloading and unzipping
all the dependencies etc)

John