On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 13:13 +0200, Rafael Villar Burke (Pachi) wrote:
> On 28/05/2010 12:06, John Stowers wrote:
> > I'm not sure if it is interesting enough for the average user, but what
> > do you think about putting the build instructions up on the website.
> >
> > I test the build every time something changes and update README.win32
> > accordingly. Perhaps the contents of this file could be incorporated
> > somehow?
> Indeed, I find it a really a good idea, John. IMHO, adding distutils
> support for building the extensions is a really great feature. Thanks a
> lot for working on it!
>
> I've added a new section after the Get the sources! one with a link to
> the README and README.win32 files.

Thanks a lot!

> After reading the build instructions, I have some doubts that could be
> clarified in the README[.win32] files:
>
> - The title mentions setuptools builds, but AFAICT, just bare distutils
> is used.

Hmm, you are correct. I often find myself mixing these terms
incorrectly.

> - Numpy and libglade support are mentioned in the git repository log,
> but there's no information on how to enable/disable that support.
> AFAICS, it's added if the modules/libraries are installed, but I can
> imagine that disabling them may be useful.

Well it always struck me as odd that libglade support lived inside
PyGtk, i.e. import gtk.glade.

Now that we have GtBuilder support, and libglade is effectively
deprecated, I wanted to setup things so that I could distribute builds
of Gtk+ that included Glade, and builds that did not (i.e. vanilla
PyGtk).

I should clarify that on the build instructions.

Anyway, I have some other enhancements (to dsutils.py) that I am almost
ready to merge that make it easy to create PyGtk apps that play nicely
with py2exe. These make it trivial to create executable pygtk apps for
windows.

> - What features does numpy bring to PyGTK?

Umm, no idea, I just kept the support there when I fixed up setup.py.

Can anyone else answer this?

John