On 5 July 2010 17:36, A.T.Hofkamp <a.t.hofk...@tue.nl> wrote:
> Or you could drop threads entirely, and do your async activities using the
> Twisted framework, designed for making asynchronous programs (where GTK
> event handling is just one of the asynchronous sources).

Please don't take this as a flame, but I've had this advice before
(usually on #python), and I usually go through this process:

1. Look at Twisted website
2. Only read things about twisted being a networking framework
3. Someone corrects me, saying "Twisted is so much more!" (That may be
the case, but the fact that the website goes on and on without
mentioning this does not inspire confidence.)
4. I search the Twisted website for documentation on/examples of GTK
applications
5. I give up and search the Twisted website for documentation
on/examples of *any* non-network based applications
6. I give up and search the greater web for documentation on/examples
of Twisted GTK applications
7. I give up on Twisted and find another way.

Really, I would love to get a grip on Twisted. It seems really useful.
But I've still not found any kind of stepping stone into it. Please,
please, please if you know of one, post it so I can add another tool
to my belt. I will rescind everything I've said here and then some.

(Since the Twisted website is currently down, I can't tell if things
have changed and I should get over it and have another try.)

Cheers,
Jason