On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Stephen Langer wrote:

> Hi --
>
> Does gtk or pygtk use random numbers?  I'm writing a program that uses random
> numbers (from the stdlib random() function).  The program's test suite needs
> to have reproducible numbers, so one of the first things it does is to seed
> the random number generator with a fixed value.  However,
> if the random number generator is seeded before the pygtk gui is built, the
> random sequence begins at a different point than if the random number
> generator is seeded after the gui is built.  This indicates that building the
> gui consumes some random numbers.
>
> Where (and why) does pygtk/gtk/cairo/pango use random numbers?  The gui
> doesn't use them explicitly.  If I knew which pygtk calls might use them,
> then I could try to avoid those calls in the test suite, or at least ensure
> that they occur before the random number generator is seeded.
>
> Thanks,
>    Steve

I forgot to mention that I'm using pygtk 2.22 on OS X (MacPorts), but the
problem appears on other versions as well.

 -- Steve

--
-- stephen.lan...@nist.gov                    Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
-- http://math.nist.gov/~SLanger/             Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's science."      --
--                     Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb 2003         --