I gave Pylons a brief try, and got discouraged by the number of import
problems.  While I was commenting on the relevant ticket
(http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=33) it became
clear to me that the only way of making Pylons work is to provide all
the missing modules and functions.

This probably isn't that hard.  It would be a package that would add in
the modules that are missing (e.g., subprocess), and monkeypatch the
modules that are missing functions (e.g., os).  Not everything would
have an implementation, many of the functions would just raise
exceptions if you actually tried to use them.  But everything would be
importable.  Most of the problems are with imports, not with actual code
being run.

This probably applies equally to the urllib ticket:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=61 --
presumably this library would also provide those functions, as it's the
same basic issue.

I don't know if this is or should be part of the core of app engine.
Well, actually I do know: it should definitely be part of the core of
app engine (even if it's something you have to specifically enable).
The scope is obvious: put stuff back that was taken out.  The reason is
clear: without that stuff being importable (and usable when possible),
many libraries not written for appengine won't work.  And changing the
libraries just doesn't make sense.  I actively want to make my libraries
work with appengine, but still I'm very reluctant to make these kinds of
changes to my libraries.  A lot of upstream developers will totally balk
at the kind of changes they'd have to make.

My mind is pretty settled on this strategy.  But there remains a
question of where and how should this project go forward?

--
Ian Bicking : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : http://blog.ianbicking.org