On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM, oO <oliv...@ozoux.com> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a basic question, but as I'm starting to add more and
> more layers of complexity to my first pyramid based applications, I'm
> starting to wonder about some of the benefits of using pyramid
> specific implementations as opposed to re-using the existing WSGI
> plumbing (like I was doing with pylons)
>
> Sow what is the difference between installing beaker as a wsgi
> middleware, vs using the pyramid_beaker package?
>
> Is it only that you end up accessing the session from request.session
> instead of request.environ['beaker.session'] or are there other
> advantages?

When you use request.session you are using the session interface documented
by Pyramid. You can use beaker, or the built-in session implementation, or
you could write your own, without having to change your code.

> There seems to be a trend in pyramid development of re-implementing a
> lot of what was previously done in various layers of wsgi middleware
> ( session, auth, ...) and moving those part inside the main
> application layer. Is there a reason for this?

On the other hand, you probably aren't going to see gzip compression
re-implemented as a Pyramid component.

WSGI is not a convenient way to compose integrated applications. WSGI
middleware lets you pretend your web server has a sessions feature, but the
only integration point is an awkward 'stick something in environ' interface.

I've tried using middleware to add a login form to my application, and then
I tried implementing the login form in the application itself. It was
awkward and frustrating to setup a system that handles requests at two
layers of the call stack. It was much easier and smoother to just add the
login form to my application. I think this is a strong sign that
authentication is part of the application and belongs there.

Let WSGI implement the Web Server.