On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Eric Lemoine
<eric.lemo...@camptocamp.com> wrote:
> $ paster create --list-templates
> Available templates:
>  basic_package:          A basic setuptools-enabled package
>  paste_deploy:           A web application deployed through paste.deploy
>  pylons:                 Pylons application template
>  pylons_minimal:         Pylons minimal application template
>  pyramid_alchemy:        pyramid SQLAlchemy project using traversal
>  pyramid_routesalchemy:  pyramid SQLAlchemy project using url
> dispatch (no traversal)
>  pyramid_starter:        pyramid starter project
>  pyramid_zodb:           pyramid ZODB starter project
>
> So, so long that Pyramid is based on Paste for templates, introducing
> a new term might be confusing to people.

We can use [other word] throughout, we just have to remember to
mention that "paster create" calls it a template, both when first
introducing the word and when directly referring to the command and
its output.

The sooner we can replace "paster create"  with something that doesn't
use the word "template", the better. I think it's pretty clear that
it's not worth making significant changes to PasteScript because it's
a namespace package under Paste, and Paste is the package that's least
useful.

> I honestly didn't realize this would become such a big
topic of conversation

It may require a historical view to understand this. From the late 90s
till 2005, every Python framework was unique and non-interpoerable
with any other. This was widely seen as intolerable so WSGI was
created. Paste was the concrete manifestation of WSGI (meaning, it
provided tools to choose a WSGI app and server and connect them, and
building blocks for WSGI frameworks. Paste was the only concrete
unifying factor among all these frameworks that gradually moved
together; even those that didn't merge or didn't use Paste directly.

Paste itself provides only mini-frameworks. Pylons was the first Paste
framework to include a real template engine. Thus the ambiguity
started between "application templates" and template files. But
because Paste was the only unifying factor between these frameworks
that were trying to become un-fragmented, there was little interest in
changing anything about Paste that might harm the fragile unity.

What's different now is that, seven years later, framework
consolidation is well established, most of the useful parts of Paste
have been spun off into separate packages with non-Paste identities,
the remaining parts of Paste are stagnating and people have not rushed
to take over its maintenance, and the frameworks have become more
assertive, "Let's make some changes."  So therefore, a move to rename
"application template" is viable now in a way that it wasn't before.

Just this week I decided to rename "application template" in my Akhet
manual because the term was just too cumbersome,  but I never thought
the Pyramid docs would be amenable to doing that. And then a few days
later you say you do want to change the Pyramid docs. So it's an idea
that's gaining momentum, and that's why the big discussion broke out.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>