On Mar 22, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Ben Bangert <b...@groovie.org> wrote:
>>

>> We sure can! In fact, several of us have the commit rights needed. :)
>>
>> Deprecating the old one is definitely an option.
>
> That's a good idea. Just updating the output would avoid the
> confusion. I wouldn't deprecate -t though (even if you deprecate the
> long form --template), because many people are used to typing it and
> it would be annoying to get deprecation warnings all the time.

FYI you'd only get the warnings in <= Python 2.6. As of 2.7/3.2,
DeprecationWarnings are hidden by default.

I'd actually want an annoying warning shown the user at some point, but just
not immediately. I'd make it a PendingDeprecationWarning (hidden everywhere by
default) for a while.

--
Philip Jenvey