On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Jonathan Vanasco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On May 23, 3:48 pm, "Mike Orr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This is quite interesting.  I've been looking for a way to build a
>> site scraper (something analogous to an aggregator but more
>> site-specific) that could eventually become asynchronous, and this
>> looks a lot easier than Twisted.
>
> FindMeOn's spiders are Twisted; importing contacts/relationships/
> profiles from 40+ social networks.
>
> We're looking at redoing it in Erlang - Twisted was too slow.
>
> I'd be happy to share some code with you privately if it'll help you
> get your own project on track.

Bob Ippolito was telling me once that he took a server in Twisted and
rewrote it in stackless.  He got some performance gains, but then he
rewrote it in Erlang.  It dropped from 40% CPU utilization to almost
nothing, and it was a heck of a lot faster.  In some situations,
Erlang is a really nice tool.  Now, if only the syntax wasn't so
ridiculously ugly ;)

-jj

--
I, for one, welcome our new Facebook overlords!
http://jjinux.blogspot.com/