On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Ian Bicking <i...@colorstudy.com> wrote:

> I personally got too annoyed with testing and general interactivity
> (there's a nose extension though, which I cribbed from -- but I never
> actually got it to work myself).

This process has been EXTREMELY annoying. I've spent many hours trying to
get things to work that I should have been spending working on my project.
Mostly, its my own ignorance of current magical techniques:

I still don't get setuptools. I don't understand namespace packages, or
rather their deployment. I don't get why I can't move (for example) paste,
and the Paste* items to another directory that is ON sys.path and have it be
import-able. All of my frustrations with GAE have been of this sort.

Basically, the challenge to getting Pylons on GAE is to manage libraries.
Some need to be there for Pylons but not for GAE. Some need to be there fore
GAE by not Pylons. Some need to be both. Some need to be uploaded with the
"app", some cannot be, some simply should-not be. It's not clear when
egg-info directories need to go up to GAE, and when they are wasting space.

And one cannot simply add things to sys.path because of setuptools. And when
setuptools can't find something, I have *no idea* how to fix it. I wish I
could just ditch all of this stuff and manually manage sys.path, but as is,
Paste especially seems to rely on some magic to find itself. Though, I
noticed that if I put an __init__.py in paste/ then it starts acting like a
normal package again (duh). Basically, packaging is blowing my mind, and I
wish I was just using python modules and packages.

STILL, I've made progress, and seemingly Jason has too. I think though, that
it's never going to be "automagic"... at least not on all OS's. GAE is too
hackety.

My status: I can take a stock pylons application in a virtualenv, wedge-in
the google libraries for yaml, datastore and the like, and run the app with
paster serve. If one moves the pylons-required libraries from the standard
site-packages to the GAE app's lib/python and add that location to sys.path,
you're almost there. Hacking in some ENVIRONMENT variables at boot-strap
time and you are there.

I didn't need to patch paste like Jason did, but maybe I'm missing
something. I'll be writing up my new recipe asap.