On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Mike Burrows (asplake)
<m...@asplake.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm far too new to Pylons to feel confident enough to contribute
> documentation but I have linked to a few of my blog posts here.  I
> don't see too many others doing the same though, so I have to wonder
> about etiquette. Is this to be encouraged?

It's fine etiquette-wise, as long as it's a few important posts and
not every single one.  But from the perspective of somebody looking
for reference material in the future, they'd find it easier if it's
linked in a topic page in the Pylons Cookbook:  The developers
periodically go through the Cookbook and put the best pieces into the
official docs, although there hasn't been a sweep recently.

http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscookbook/Home

For especially short pieces, the Pylons FAQ is a good place.
http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonsfaq/Home

There is also the Snippets section on the website, but I've never used
it and I'm not exactly sure what it's for compared to the other two.
http://pylonshq.com/snippets

> And who is blogging
> regularly about Pylons?  The most recent post on Planet Pylons dates
> back to March and I don't know where else to look.

Ian Bicking (blog.ianbicking.org) and Ben Bangert (groovie.org) have
blogs where they post about Pylons-related software.  The Pylons
community as a whole doesn't blog as much as others do, I think
because we're too busy working.  The developers are focusing on
finishing Pylons 1.0, and the marketing push has been waiting for
that.

> On a related topic, how about an occasional post here (perhaps I'm too
> new here to have seen one) and a prominent link on the pylonshq front
> page about how to contribute?  Better to confront problems than
> perpetually working around them, don't you think?

I suppose. I'm not sure what it would say though beyond the usual
open-source stuff: testers and documenters always welcome. It's kind
of been, if you want to contribute, be active on the list answering
questions until you find a task to do, or ask the list or one of the
developers what needs to be done.

The website has a Contributing menu link but it's broken, hmm.  The
there's also a Community section on the wiki although it's not the
easiest to find.
http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscommunity/Home

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>