I'm actually in the process of trying to port my old Joomla (that's
php, folks!) site to something in Pylons...for my purposes of not
losing too much content I was trying to use a vaguely similar db
schema so I could export data & still have it be useful in the new
app...(I'll let you know if I get anywhere...)

Bottom line is you'll need at least this:

- content (eg articles, etc)
- media (images, audio, video, etc)
- an organisational hierachy (such as sections & categories)
- templates

In terms of functionality, Joomla uses an interesting concept called
components, which all go into a common "components" folder, & which
can be downloaded from a repository as a .zip file. You just upload
the .zip file to the CMS, & it installs the code file, & creates DB
tables if necessary. That way, non-tech users can add functionality to
their site with a one click process, which makes it easier for users.

It also has a separate administration folder, so any admin screens
code can be kept together, making it easier to force SSL for your
content admin section, without requiring it for the public front-end
section of your CMS app...

Cheers,

Bruce Coble