I agree that further documentation on design decisions would be helpful,
though I empathize that processes need to be lightweight.

My two cents from the sidelines:

The design decisions for Pyramid are very very good for long term
extensability and project growth. However, they are, much like the ZCA
itself, complicated and seemingly, dare I say, baroque, at first glance, and
definitely not newbie friendly. IMHO, this is a case where what is good for
beginners or learning a framework quickly is not what is optimal for
experienced users who want to make sure they never 'hit the wall'. Because
of this, I think design decision docs are even more important for Pyramid
than for most frameworks. I don't think people are going to go to Pyramid
because it's easy, I think they'll use it because it's good for the long
haul. If we want to see a lot of adoption, we do need as much documentation
as possible illustrating exactly why the architecture is an advantage to
users. It took me a while before I realized how liberating getting
everything out of the ZCA registry is, with the option of doing it by
interfaces. It's just not obvious what hard problems are solved elegantly
that way when you're first looking at it. Ditto for traversal.

That said, the repoze.bfg docs are excellent. But yeah, some more 'why we
did it this way' docs would be really cool.

iain