Hi there.

I'm a relatively long-time Pylons user, starting to work with Pyramid. I
like what I see, but am suffering a bit on where to find things.

I'm using traversal and a resource tree in my app (zodb template) and am
enjoying this pattern... but I can't seem to find ways to hook onto basic
objects like the resource root, the settings, config, etc. I know that these
things are attached to the request, but I'm not sure that the best way to go
is to pass the request everyplace... if I just want to talk to the database,
can I really only do that via a request?

Say I have a utility function that needs to peek in the database (zodb
again) to find some elementary thing... how can I do that if it's not in a
view callable and I don't explicitly pass request around?

There must be a way to do this for testing if nothing else (I know that
there are fake request objects for testing, but do they have root, etc.
also?)

OR, how can I grab onto the root, config and other goodies via an import?
Maybe that's the question?

-- Matt