I usually do "belt and suspenders"; source activate or run activate.bat,
and then always include the path to the executable or batch file in the
environment (under "bin" or "Scripts" depending on the platform).

I like the explicit commands, but they always have to be translated when
running under Windows which is another source of possible confusion (but at
least it won't run the system Python by mistake).

Doing both should work for the documentation also.
Prominently, remind people at the beginning of major sections to run either:

source ../bin/activate
- or -
..\Scripts\activate.bat

Then encourage them to not rely on that, and always provide a distinct path
to a point within the virtual environment.

If they miss on both counts, then screwing things up was probably
inevitable anyway. ;-)