On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 10:34 -0400, Michael Bayer wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 9:58 AM, Michael Merickel wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Domen Kožar <do...@dev.si> wrote:
> >> Having something like djangopackages.com + pypi classifier would achieve
> >> the
> >> same goal. Pull requests are also easy to make, I would propose rather to
> >> have a good read about preferred way of contributing to package
> >> maintainers.
> >
> > I'm much more +1 on maintaining and improving
> > http://pyramid.opencomparison.org/ (djangopackages). I've also
> > requested on catalog-sig a "Framework :: Pyramid" trove classifier. I
> > think in the era of DVCS it doesn't make much sense to attempt to
> > manage organizations and commit access rights. You and your
> > maintainers own the project repo, other people can submit pull
> > requests. What is more important is that the source repositories are
> > easy to find, for which I think the opencomparison page does a good
> > job. I think the opencomparison page needs much more visibility within
> > the community.
>

> my initial impression is leaning this way as well, my concern with a central
> repo that everyone publishes towards is that you get a lot of lemons, and the
> system doesn't provide any way to newcomers to distinguish between the
> first-class, recommended approaches versus half-baked ideas that will get
> people into trouble.    You'd then say, OK well someone needs to curate the
> collection of things - easier said than done.   There's a lot of old recipes
> on the SQLAlchemy wiki I'd love to blow away, but , well one of my users went
> through all the trouble to write it and I don't want to upset him, and well
> OK maybe it's somewhat useful if not out of date, so it just stays up there,
> as a sort-of-not-quite-useful thing.    Plus you need someone curating all
> these things in the first place.    The repo starts looking like a stale
> graveyard for discarded ideas.   For a project that is desperate to provide a
> consistent, simple story for newcomers (something I think Pyramid and
> SQLAlchemy share), these open ended repositories just add to the confusion,
> pushing up a large list of highly varied approaches into a flattened
> presentation.

God I hate Apple mail.app, the above is all on one line for me ;-)

In any case, I think the issues you bring up above already exist (e.g.
search github or pypi for "pyramid" and behold the result list of stuff
you never knew existed).  Doing nothing will probably eventually put us
in a worse position than doing something.  That said, whether that
something is just curating a list of third-party add-ons ala
openpackages or actually maintaining a repository, I can't hold a strong
opinion about, because I can't afford to drive either effort.

- C