I've had to build my own before on servers which had old versions as
default (*cough* Red Hat *cough*) and it comes in very handy as long as you
combine with virtualenv to avoid confusion. You might find that certain
libs are missing and you have to do it (as Mariano mentions) - I think I
had to do this for MySQL; otherwise I would just stick with system until
that day comes, then put in the options you require.