On Oct 14, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The "go-pylons.py" script was lost in the transition from the old
> Pylons sever to the Pyramid server. You can still find an old version
> on Google, but it won't work because it tries to download the packages
> from a directory that no longer exists on a server whose domain name
> has changed. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to do the equivalent
> manually:

Doh, the file probably still exists, but the links do not. Do you know what the
link was offhand? I can take a look at ensuring it works.

> The links from some Pylons docs to third-party docs have broken. The
> one I notice most is WebHelpers, which is my fault because I need to
> square away its online docs and haven't yet. In the meantime the docs
> are under a temporary URL
> http://sluggo.scrapping.cc/python/WebHelpers/ .

Ah yes, that's unfortunately bound to happen over time, URL's are so fickle
time-wise. Sigh.

> I'm also supporting Pylons 1 and -- eek! -- Pylons 0.9.7 applications,
> because my organization has insufficient developer time to convert
> them to Pyramid as fast as I'd wish.  It's easier for me because I've
> been with Pylons a long time so I remember when the changes were made.
> But the fact remains that Pylons 1 is now 2 1/2 years old, its old
> maintainers aren't focusing on it as much as they used to, and cracks
> have started to appear. The cracks will doubtlessly get wider over
> time. So it would be prudent to:

I'm wondering if it might be prudent to do a 'last update' or something to
freeze everything needed for Pylons under a sub-tree and mirror all docs,
downloads, etc. indefinitely. This wouldn't be trivial, but hopefully would be
more of a one-off type operation.

Reddit is still on Pylons, as are other large old projects that may never
change, while Pylons is seeing no improvements, its worthwhile to remember that
Beaker, WebOb, and WebTest have all continued to mature so components are still
being maintained.

> - Set up a Pip "download cache", which will copy packages to a
> designated directory as they are downloaded, and later install them
> from that directory rather than downloading them again. That way,
> you'll have a copy of all required packages in their compatible
> versions. (Make a directory "~/.pip" containing a file "pip.conf" in
> INI format, with an "[install]" section containing "download-cache
> ~/.pip/download_cache").
>
> - Consider setting up a caching PyPI mirror. This will avoid the need
> to go to the network to check current versions of packages when
> installing. (I haven't done this part but there are blog articles
> about it.)

Some great suggestions, maybe we need to put this up on the site somewhere.

--
||   Ben Bangert                                                 ||