On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Ben Bangert <b...@groovie.org> wrote:
> On Oct 14, 2012, at 11:20 AM, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The "go-pylons.py" script was lost in the transition from the old
>> Pylons sever to the Pyramid server. You can still find an old version
>> on Google, but it won't work because it tries to download the packages
>> from a directory that no longer exists on a server whose domain name
>> has changed. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to do the equivalent
>> manually:
>
> Doh, the file probably still exists, but the links do not. Do you know what
> the link was offhand? I can take a look at ensuring it works.

It was something like http://pylonshq.com/downloads, but let's get
confirmation before spending time on it.

> I'm wondering if it might be prudent to do a 'last update' or something to
> freeze everything needed for Pylons under a sub-tree and mirror all docs,
> downloads, etc. indefinitely. This wouldn't be trivial, but hopefully would
> be more of a one-off type operation.
>
> Reddit is still on Pylons, as are other large old projects that may never
> change, while Pylons is seeing no improvements, its worthwhile to remember
> that Beaker, WebOb, and WebTest have all continued to mature so components
> are still being maintained.

I'm still supporting two Pylons 1 applications and three Pylons 0.9.7
applications. So yes, a "with all dependencies" distribution would be
helpful. Two of the applications I'm not exactly maintaining myself
but more advising the maintainers who don't know a lot about Pylons
and may they eventually be replaced by people who know even less about
it. I was able to help them when go-pylons.py broke or a WebOb version
became incompatible with Pylons. but if I'm not around then someday
they may not be able to get the program to run. I want to upgrade all
the applications to Pyramid, but time and budget constraints keep
pushing that to next year, then the year after that...

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>