I thought it was silly at first, but then found it easier on the eyes and
quicker to confirm what's enabled. Still, requesting a change to the core
language/library through additional code (with the inevitable introduction
of more bugs) in order to support some syntactic sugar that really doesn't
provide any additionally functionality, does seem particularly problematic.

If this were C, one could simply define a couple macros.

I suggest the author does the equivalent in Python.