I started with fanstatic and switched to webassets.

I found that the js namespace python packages were not useful. They are
often out of date, as you noticed, and to repackage everything you need as
python is not sustainable to me.

I'm sure you can use fanstatic without that, though.

I liked webassets for other reasons I can't remember. I found the developer
to be very responsive. Also, sontek, who maintains pyramid_webassets, is
also very responsive and visible in the community. I've landed PRs there
and have more to come.

I think the easiest way to manage assets for a pyramid application is to
check them into your repo.

Lately I have been curious about nodeenv[1], though. With so many
client-side js package repositories there might be a solution where you
just use node to manage those dependencies, calling bower or npm from
python, and then using webassets (or fanstatic) to include the downloaded
assets.

To me, this is a problem that doesn't have a consensus solution in the
community yet. It's ripe for blog posts from any who have a clear vision.

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/nodeenv