I still believe there is good utility to using fanstatic or webassets in
the final step.

Build the assets with a node toolchain, serve them with pyramid_webassets
or pyramid_fanstatic. The use is that having content hash in versions in
query strings with far future headers is really great for caching and
making sure you never serve stale assets or mixed old/new assets.