On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:

> I don't see the point of the 'setup_requires' bit:  if you are working in
> a checkout, you should be using 'python setup.py develop', which Just
> Works(TM) without 'setuptools-git'.  'setuptools-git' really only matters
> for the *maintainers*, who need to ensure that the non-Python files get
> bundled in when they run 'python setup.py sdist' to make a release (we
> could subclass the distutils 'sdist' command to barf in the absence of
> 'setuptools-git', but That-Way-Lies-Madness).

Yeah, I see that now.  But before I did see that, I tried including deform
via a dependency_link in my setup.py .  Doing that, it fetches the git repo
and tries to install via bdist, thus ending up with a non-functional
package and it not really being clear as to why.   (The first post shows a
smallest-possible-code to demonstrate that)

I totally agree with you, Merickel, and everyone else that people should be
either using the PyPi package or installing via a "setup.py develop".
However, most people will probably arrive at this discussion making the
same mistakes I did and only after a lot of searching and wasted time.  The
patch is to try to avoid other people wasting time the same way I did.