On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Jonathan Vanasco <jonat...@findmeon.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 4:16:29 PM UTC-5, Jeff Dairiki wrote:
>>

>> Actually, no.  Pretty much every page includes a CSRF token somewhere,
>> and thus require a session.  However these simple sessions are stored
>> entirely in the session cookie, so no server-side storage is required.
>>

> Sorry, I meant to describe a placeholder session in redis.  At some point
> you decide a session id is needed for redis.

Yes, that's right.  The session id for redis is not created until it is
decided that the session will be stored in redis. (This happens when the
session dict is not JSON-serializable, or when the size of the JSON
serialization exceeds a configured limit.)  At least with our usage, most
sessions, including those created by bots do not hit redis at all.