On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think you covered your options pretty well.
>>>
>>> 1) Set wsgi.url_scheme to "http" as origin checks are only done on https.
>>> 2) Set the pyramid.csrf_trusted_origins as you are doing now.
>>> 3) Disable csrf checking for your tests.
>>>
>>> I think it's just a helpful reminder that you would be wise to think about
>>> the origin header more these days as it's required by CORS requests and, of
>>> course, cross origin requests are the attack vector CSRF is helping to
>>> protect.
>>
>> It sounds like it needs documentation then. What is the Origin header
>> and shouldn't Pyramid/WebOb set it automatically if it's becoming more
>> important?
>>
>> #1 and #3 would make the test environment different from the real
>> environment. #2 raises the question of what is WebTest's Origin
>> header, what should it be, why are they different, and does something
>> need to be changed in the library?
>
> I guess the solution is #1, to roll back the HTTPS, because there is
> no HTTPS because there's no network server. That in turn will require
> a configuration that doesn't make the cookies HTTPS-only.

(The browser got in a mood and did "Send" too quickly.)

I still feel like there's a missing piece, something that needs to be
documented so that others don't fall into this same trap. The only
reason I set HTTPS-only and CSRF is our IT department asked us to do
this wherever feasible, and since it didn't make much difference
either way I went along with it. So presumably other people in other
organizations will be doing the same thing, and have the same thing
happen in their tests.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>